Supposed Dubai 'Assassins' Shocked at Identity Theft



By: ELAD BENARI  
Published: February 24th 2010


Grabs from video footage showing some of the suspects involved in the Mabhouh assassination
Pic: GNTV/SIPA/1002191325

 

As more details become available about the assassination of senior Hamas terrorist Mahmoud al-Mabhouh in Dubai, it is becoming apparent that the assassins stole the identities of several Israelis carrying foreign passports.

 

It began early last week when Dubai police released the names on the passports used by the assassins. All of them supposedly hold an additional citizenship and passport besides their Israeli ones.

 

Paul John Keeley, a British-born repairman who lives on Kibbutz Nahsholim and whose name appeared on the British passport Dubai authorities said belonged to one of the hit men, told Haaretz on February 17: "I'm in shock - I just don't understand how something like this could happen. From the moment I heard about it I was very worried. I'm worried for my family. The fact that it was my name that was published in this context makes me worry that someone will try to harm us."

 

Keeley is not alone in this story. Stephen Daniel Hodes also holds a British and Israeli citizenship and his name was also used by one of the assassins. Hodes told Israel’s Channel 2 News last Tuesday: "I was in total shock. I don't know what's happening - I don't know how they got to me or my information. I haven't left the country in about two years, and I've never been to Dubai. I don't know who was behind this. It's just scary, because powerful forces are involved in this."

 

On Wednesday, Dubai police released the names of 15 new suspects involved Mabhouh’s assassination, bringing the total number of suspects to 26. Among the names on the new list of suspects is Adam Marcus Korman, who currently lives in Tel Aviv and works at a store on Rothschild Avenue. Korman carries an Australian passport. He told Ynet on Wednesday: "I am shocked, it's identity theft – simply unbelievable. I received phone calls from every international media, but was not contacted by any official Israeli or European authority, including the Interpol. I have traveled all over the world, but never visited Dubai or the United Arab Emirates. I have been frightened and shocked since receiving the news. It's irresponsible and a violation of human and individual rights to do such a thing."

 

Even the pictures of the assassins which were published by Dubai police have caused problems for certain Israelis. One of them is Haaretz correspondent Or Kashti, who said in an article published on February 17 that he had been stopped by people on the street after the photos were published in order to congratulate him for the good work. “Even my mother asked if I'd been abroad,” reads the title of Kashti’s article.

 




Share with friends Print this page Read later Recommend 3 times